Comedy - Tragedy

Comedy - Tragedy
All the world truly IS a stage!

Friday, January 10, 2014

Jesus Christ, Superstar... let the waiting begin...

Well, I've gone and done it again.

I've auditioned for another musical! My second in four months. With a bit of luck I'll be gracing the boards in late March and early April for a production of JCS. Its a show I am somewhat familiar with, having done it three times previous. And its a nice touchstone for my return to the stage. After spending the last five years either directing or running the technical side of shows, its nice to be able to just ACT.

Again, its a familiar show. How familiar I didn't realize until I went to callbacks.

"Jesus Christ, Superstar": it is such an iconic show, and also one that is frighteningly popular. However, it was interesting how quickly I was able to remember parts of it from almost 10 years ago. The music came back, much like an old friend who I hadn't seen in a long while, yet I easily fell back into a comfortable conversation with, despite having not seen in some time. It was a homecoming of sorts.

The very first time I performed in JCS was actually my final show in college. I was a senior and it was the selection Harrington Theatre Arts Company (HTAC) at UD had picked for it's spring production. I hafta say, it was a blast to perform. One of the biggest shows that was ever attempted. The set was big. (Two weeks of work in a desert canyon made of paper mache) The tech was big. (Try hanging an actor onstage, every night, and doing it SAFELY.) The cast was big. (35+ on a VERY small stage.) I was cast as one of the priests, a Pharisee conspirator who helped to plot the death of this "upstart messiah " from Galilee. We sold out almost every night we performed.

It was such fun! It was one of my first experiences playing a 'dark' character. And it was such a minor, yet inspiring role, I went on to perform several other iconic and dark roles in many shows that followed. Ken De La Maise in "The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940", Jonathan Brewster in "Arsenic and Old Lace", 'Rooster' Hannigan in "Annie",  Spider in "Jekyll/Hyde", Clifford Anderson in "Deathtrap",  The Headless Horseman in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".... all of these roles that I have played since have a basis in that first 'dark' role I played in JCS in the waning days of my college career.

That show has a special place in my heart.

The shows that followed, however... well, maybe not so much.

The two following times, I played the very same part, or very close to it. The furthest I was able to move was to portray Annas, the lieutenant of the Head Pharisee, Caiaphas. Sad to say, by the time I got to Annas, I was tired of the 'dark' roles, especially in JCS.  I could sleepwalk through the role. It wasn't FUN. I had a further chance several years back with another local production of JCS, which would have been my fourth. The assistant director was searching for interested men, post-casting, because of drops due to rehearsal conflicts. When I politely asked what roles they were looking to fill, his response was, "...well, we need to cover the priests..."

I almost hung up on him.

I just could not do it. I could not accept the part. I was gracious, but I politely refused.

This time is a little different. I was able to mention to the director of this upcoming production, who happens to be a friend, that I would audition on one condition... to please NOT be cast as Caiaphas, Annas or one of the three 'wise guys/priests/conspirators'. And I was able to offer the reason why when he said, "But you would be great in the role!"

I'm looking for challenges. Any other role would be a challenge. The audition and callback process has, to my best knowledge, followed this request. I might have a shot at either Pilate or Herod.

Either one will be fun. But the wait will be killer. Callbacks were on Thursday. The final call for who has been cast will be on Monday. More on waiting later....

In any event, it's gonna be a LOOOOONG weekend. Until then, I will simply...

EXIT, PURSUED BY A BEAR...

No comments:

Post a Comment